Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bits & Pieces

A couple of things I remember:

I waited an hour (or less--time is relative when you are waiting for surgery!) lying on a gurney outside the OR. People came by to verify who I was, introduce themselves. and to do various procedures (like starting I.V.s). At some point I decided I needed to use the restroom and I was parked right in front of it. So a nurse put booties on my feet, helped me up and as I clutched the back of that hospital gown, she carried my IVs. She hung them on that handy hook in the bathroom stall (and ladies you thought that was for purses!)

When I came back to my gurney I noticed all the activity had begun in my OR. The door would open every now and then and I could see them draping the table, and bringing instruments in. I didn't want to think about it, but I also was curious. All of a sudden I was wheeled into the OR. I remember taking a deep breath (of that rarified air!) and being in the bright lights. I thought, okay, I'm going to turn my head and look at the table and check things out. And the next thing I knew I was being awakened in Recovery. When I later complained to Dr. B., he laughed and said, "Yeah, we slipped you a margarita!" But it is so weird to have such an incomplete memory.

No comments: