Saturday, May 3, 2008

Open Wide

My blog really began with talk of my surgery--not the MS I promised. And now we are about full circle, completing the surgical story.

But before I had surgery, I had to go to the dentist. Since I was going to have 6-8 hour surgery I was having serious anesthesia and would be intubated. And I realized I had a loose crown. Necessitating a dental visit. But a. My dentist retired and b. I didn't have a new dentist and c. It had been awhile since I'd seen one. I was soooooo stressed out. Ernest called his dentist and explained the circumstances and they agreed to see me.

I made Ernest come in the examining room with me. The dentist was very nice, especially as I sat in the chair and cried. Did I mention I was still on major steroids? Which contributed to the dental situation as they wouldn't be able to do any real procedures unless I was put on major antibiotics (prednisone causes damage to you immune system). I told the dentist I just needed to be duct-taped together for surgery. Glue my crown back on. And don't tell me if I have any other dental problems because I can't handle ANOTHER diagnosis! And I told him he couldn't give any "knowing" looks to his dental asst. Because I had already been there with my neurosurgeon! I know those knowing looks mean something serious!

Dr. V. was soooo understanding and didn't laugh his head off at me. He examined me and told me the things I DIDN'T HAVE (no cancer, no cavities, no gum disease) And then he told me he wouldn't even write on my chart until he was out of my eyesite. I love how he and his asst. played along with my insanity. There were lots of sympathetic smiles and pats on my shoulder. I got the darn crown glued on and promised a return visit when I was sane.

No comments: