Saturday, March 29, 2008

The second week

So I'm into my second week post surgery. I went to the Dr. on Thursday to get my incision checked out. I saw Mrs. Dr. who works in the office. She was very impressed with the stitch-wichery of the Dr. Apparently I have internal stitches that are dissolvable and externally he applied butterfly bandages--I don't have staples or a "railroad track" type of scar. Just a line. So my scar won't impede my bikini wearing (we won't discuss everything ELSE that will negate me wearing a bikini!)

I'm still on bed rest to minimize scarring (scarrinng in my spine, not cosmetic scarring). And I was absolutely worn out after my brief excursion to the Dr. I went home and slept for several hours. My family has been wonderfully helpful. The kids are doing what they can, Ernest's Mom spent a lot of time here, keeping up with the general chores and cooking! Yum! Good ol' home cooking. But now I'm more on my own. And perhaps more dependent on Ernest's cooking (uh oh). Ernest has been wonderful throughout this run-a-way train health experience. I think he has been impressed with my ability to handle all this; but what he doesn't realize is I couldn't have handled all these diagnoses, tests and treatments without his strength and support. He pretty much sat with me holding my hand through every test.

So what's next? Dr.s office is checking my insurance to find rehab or physical therapy to send me to. I do have an even more noticeable weakness in my left leg, between the damaged nerve and the weak/atrophied muscles. But I'm assured I will be able to climb stairs by myself in the not too distant future! Of course I've been compartmentalizing all these problems. Dealing w ith one at a ti me. So the first couple of hurdles are done....busy Admissions work is done. Surgery is done. Next, rehab and then finally getting rid of one MS diagnosis to be able to concentrate on the other MS and focusing on a healthy, happy year.

No comments: