Sunday, April 6, 2008

Odds and Ends

Still waiting on the Dr. for a physical therapy referral. It most likely will be with TIRR (since they are on my insurance). But the Dr. wants to talk to the therapist, since I have multiple issues (the back surgery, si-joint problems and MS). Ernest and I take walks in the meantime. And they usually wear me out. I'm learning to give in to my sleepiness.

After much indecision, I told my Mom about the MS last night. For those of you who aren't familiar with my family, Mom lives in Atlanta (my Dad passed away in 2002), so does my younger brother Scott and his wife and 4 boys. My twin brother Jim lives in Raleigh, NC with his wife. Both brothers knew my diagnosis, but I was trying to keep it from my 84 year old Mom. She has her own health and other problems. But I found out one of my nephews overheard the conversation about my MS and between him, and the stilted conversations I found myself having with Mom, I figured it was time to tell her. She was spending the weekend with my brother so I knew she'd have a built in support group. She did take the news hard and I had to be the strong one in the conversation, really, really, really, downplaying my diagnosis and my own worries. She cried a little and worried that somehow the MS was "her fault." At which point I was able to laugh and say we could blame Dad and his darn Scottish ancestors (the highest incidence of MS per capita -- or whatever--is in Scotland). I know Mom is going to have to stew and worry about this for awhile before she accepts it. Although she did remember a friend of hers has a daughter with MS who is doing well.

After I had my surgery I noticed my entire back was COATED with iodine (from the pre-op procedures). My hospital gown kept sticking to it. When I got home I could only sponge bathe so I couldn't scrub it all off for a couple of days. Now I notice everywhere that was covered with iodine, is now peeling. Lovely.

Otherwise I'm getting back to normal. I did a load of laundry yesterday and cooked dinner (eggs--nothing too exhausting!).

No comments: