Monday, June 2, 2008

Outtting Myself

The joke in my house was that I had MS before I was diagnosed. It stood for (Boss's first name starting with an M) Syndrome. I couldn't deal with my second, and real MS until I got rid of the first MS. And today was my first day with her GONE!

So I outed myself to the remaining department members. I must say I was underwhelmed with their concern. Both knew other people with MS and pooh poohed my diagnosis with a kind of "Oh you'll be fine" kind of attitude. Which is another reason I waited before I outted myself to everyone. I needed to grieve and really wallow in the seriousness of the diagnosis before I could hope for the best.

People mean well, but boy can they come across as insensitive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I've had some similar experiencs, and I react so differently each time. I hate it when people tell em stories about all those they know who died of breast cancer. I guess they just don't realize how SCARED you really are... it's something you can never imagine until you are there yourself, no matter how compassionate or imaginitive of a person you are.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. I do try to remember that a lot of people are clueless, but usually mean well. But it is tiresome. One of the people I talked to today digressed in the middle of my conversation to tell me what pain she was in because she had just had two moles removed by the dermatologist.

Really.