Tuesday, April 22, 2008

In between

In between my IV steroid therapy and my first Friday Avonex shot, I forgot to mention that I also had an additional procedure: Evoked Potentials. Sounds like something students at SJS would take, doesn't it? Or an Admissions test?!

First of all I had to traipse THROUGH the 4th floor neurosurgical patient floor (more than a little eery--knowing I'd be in one of those rooms soon) to get to the department that handles this. I had what seemed to be electrodes glued onto parts of my scalp as well as my arms and my legs. For one test I had to stare, one eye at a time, at a computer screen. For the rest of the tests they shocked one of my limbs, to watch (and measure) the reaction. It is very weird to watch your hand or foot flop around when you are not moving it! Very "Young Frankenstein."

No comments: